Monday 16 April 2012

'You're Hired'- A Student Guide to Interview Success

As I am coming to the end of my degree, it has left me thinking a lot about getting a job and how to make employees see me as an asset to their team. I’m not going to beat about the bush, I am feeling slightly anxious about the whole thing and how I will get along with nerves, and interviews, and selling myself as a prospective candidate. I’m hoping that everyone else is feeling like this too?


Don't be an interview Dummy

In light of this I decided to create a list of attributes that will help people who are also soon to be facing the world of work by preparing them for interviews. I have put together my five top skills that I think will help increase your chances in an interview:


1.      Preparation. McRae believes the key to success in the workplace is preparation [1998:41]. In an interview it is important to find out about the background of the company, this makes it seem as though you are interested in what they do. Also prepare using your CV, revise the areas they are likely to ask you about and think about what you want them to know about you.


2.      Assertiveness. Being assertive makes you appear confident and expressive. However, be mindful that you are not being aggressive [Back, K et al. 2005].


3.      Nonverbal. Employees are essentially judging you on everything, so your nonverbal language is equally as important as verbal. Open gestures make you seem friendly, whilst body language such as good posture and positioning yourself toward to interviewer make you seem more involved, and therefore employable.


4.      Enthusiasm. By appearing enthusiastic you make yourself appear more interested, and also interesting. You will also come across more friendly and approachable.


5.      Negotiate. Negotiations is an important element when looking for a job as you need to be able to come to an agreement on what they are willing to offer and what you are willing to accept, this is in relation to salary, perks, and also negotiating why you are the best candidate for the job. However, be mindful that you have rationale for any negotiations you are willing to make [Thompson. 2005]

"You're hired!"
  
So, have these helped? Are you feeling more positive about interviews? Or what alternative skills do you think are important?


6 comments:

  1. I was just searching for jobs online and came across this blog. This seems like it would be really useful for when I start going for interviews, really good post, thanks for the advice!
    Maybe one other thing that would be good to mention would be nerves? Although I've not been to many interviews, I am already worried about nerves so maybe thats another good tip to try and overcome in preperation.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the most important aspect of an interviews it to showcase yourself as a talented and unique individual. I think it is really important to remember that you are selling yourself, try and think about what the interviewer wants to know about you, and what it is that you have done that would make them think that you are more beneficial to them above any other candidate.
    Some good comments of advice here, all very relevant when preparing for an interview.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments guys. Good to know you were able to find the post by searching for something different.

    Thanks for the input, yes I agree, an interview is all about displaying what it is about you that makes you better or different from everyone else.

    I also hope these come in good use for you Catherine when it comes to your own interviews, let me know how you get on, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reckon if you put these into practice you'd even have Alan Sugar eating out the palm of your hand.
    Good advice, I agree with all the points

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hiya Ellen!

    I can understand where you're coming from, as I will be leaving University soon and will be looking for a job in the big wide world!

    I really think that it's definitely important to make sure you negotiate your job offer. This is something that I've never done before, but I think it's crucial for when I have an interview that will kickstart my career. Your tips are very useful, and I will be taking these into consideration!

    Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. would've been a tad bit better if the author would've kept the bold words in either all nouns or all verbs and not a mix.

    ReplyDelete